There are several things that are very essential elements for home cooking or for professional chefs too. A good kitchen knife set is one of these essential elements in cooking. A knife set is a very valuable item for making or cooking your meal. If you take proper care and maintenance, then a good knife set can last for years. But, what is a good kitchen knife set?
Many people would suggest you buy a single knife instead of getting a set. But, we would definitely suggest buying a set of knives. Because buying a set is more effective and cost-efficient too. But, how to choose a perfect set of knives?
Now, we are about to share some facts with you guys so that you can understand how to get a proper and perfect set of knives. Interested? So, without wasting any time let’s jump into the facts.
- A Proper Guideline for Kitchen Knives & Their Uses
- Different Types of Kitchen Knives: Choose the Right One for You
- Final Words
A Proper Guideline for Kitchen Knives & Their Uses
If you are in a hurry to choose a knife set and want to know what to look for in a perfect knife set. But, don’t have time to research, then you are in a right place. Because we will discuss the real fact that you should know to choose a perfect set.
Most of you might be thinking that if you buy a branded product, then you will get the best one without analyzing anything. But, it is not necessary that all the branded product is good at quality and service.
So, you should know some basic things before you are getting a set of knives. And, for you, we are going to share these relevant facts with you. Here, we start.
How to Choose a Good Set of Knives
Our discussion will be in 3 parts. These 3 parts will make you understand how to choose a good set of knives. Interested? Here, the 3 parts are-
- The Essential Pieces of Knives
- Some Additional or Extra Knives
- Basic Qualities of the Best Knives
1. The Essential Pieces of Knives
Are you thinking about what kitchen knives do I need? Well, the essential knives are those knives that you will need for doing most of the cooking task.
There will be 3 to 4 knives for your home cooking purposes and they are enough. Now, we will share some essential knives that you should look for in a set. Here, they are-
- A Model of Paring: This set consists of the knives for trimming, peeling, and cutting smaller pieces of food
- A Knife for Chef: That model of the knife is versatile. You can use this knife for multi-purposes like- dicing, chopping, slicing, and mincing.
- The Blade for Serrated: The blade is necessary for cutting tomatoes, bread, delicate cakes, and fruits
2. Some Additional or Extra Knives
Having some additional or extra knives depends on your cooking style. You may have them if you want. Here are some additional or extra knife types-
- The Blade of Utility: This blade is necessary for cutting down foods into smaller pieces
- Meat Cleaver: It is necessary for cutting chicken or other larger pieces of meat
- Vegetable Cleaver: It is necessary for cutting different types of vegetables
- A Fillet Blade: It is necessary for filleting the fishes
- The Boning Blade: It is necessary for removing meat from bones
- Carving Knife: It is necessary for cutting thin pieces from the turkey, roast, ham, chicken, etc.
- The Bread Blade: It is necessary for cutting the bread into thin pieces
3. Basic Qualities of the Best Knives
There are some basic qualities that should exist in the knife set if you want to get the best one. Now, we are sharing some basic qualities of good knives. Here, they are-
- Handling: You should get knives that are easy to handle. Because you will use them for cutting so without good handling, you cannot use them properly
- Weight: You should go for knives that are very light in weight. Heavy-weight knives are not easy to use at all
- Balance: Balance is another important thing to consider. There should be a good balance ratio between the blade and the handle. If the knife has a good balance, then it will be easy for you to cut anything very smoothly
- Materials: Well, materials are also necessary things for choosing a good knife. The materials that you should consider are- (1) Carbon Steel Blades, (2) Stainless Steel, (3) Steel Alloys that are Stainless Steel, and (4) Ceramic
Different Types of Kitchen Knives: Choose the Right One for You
There are different types of knives in the market. You choose the right one according to your needs and uses. Now, we are going to share the types of knives that will enrich your knowledge. Here, they are-
|1. Chef’s Knife||7. Cleaver Knife|
|2. Santoku Knife||8. Paring Knife|
|3. Utility Knife||9. Steak Knife|
|4. Kitchen Shears||10. Nakiri Bocho|
|5.Boning Knife||11. Fillet Knife|
|6. Bread Knife||---|
Related Utility Knife: what is a utility knife used for in the kitchen?
Obviously not. You don’t have to have all types of knives in your kitchen for home cooking purposes. But, if you are a professional chef or cooker, then you may have all types of knives.
Well, all famous brands try to give the best product to the customer but, they may take higher price compare to the quality and service. But, we are not saying that branded products are not good. Obviously, branded products are good but, in some cases, they charge higher prices.
Hope that now, you have got the answer to “what is a good kitchen knife set?”. We tried our best to bring all the best and relevant information to you guys. So that you can easily choose a good set of knives. If you have anything more to know then you may knock us. We will definitely reach to you guys as soon as possible. Best wishes.